St George, Southall, Middlesex
The Restoration of the 1723 Abraham Jordan organ
Saturday 17 November 2012
The younger Jordan built the organ in 1723 by for St George, Botolph Lane, City of London. On demolition of the city church, the organ was moved to the then new church of St George, Southall by Henry Speechly in 1905. Speechly made the Swell full compass and installed the organ on a shelf with a new action, discarding the lower casework.
The organ was restored by Mander in 2009 to its original specification with a short-compass Swell organ and no Pedals. Considerable research was needed to ensure that the reconstruction is as close to the original as possible.
Topics & Speakers
Demonstration of the organ - William McVicker
Abraham Jordan in Southall ? - Colin Menzies
The Organ Restoration from the Parish Perspective - Margaret Wellingon & Paul Southey
The Restoration Project - John Mander
The Context of the Restoration alongside other recent Historic Restorations - John Norman
Aspects of 18th Century Organ Performance Practice - William McVicker & John Collins
Recital - John Collins